Friday, February 22, 2008

Our new family

The transition with Donovan is going well with our new baby, Nicholas. He isn't nearly as jealous as I thought he'd be, but Donny and his nanny have been here so between all of us we've been able to give him a lot of attention. Donny is going back to work on Monday, though, and slowly I'm going to have to start leaving him a bit more to prepare him for me going back to work and then yet another transition so he is spending time with nanny and baby all at once. I am planning to go back to work part-time in a couple weeks and then work my way up to full time again. We'll see how it goes. I'm planning to start a bottle with Nicholas once a day next week, in preparation.

Having the 2nd child is soooo much easier than I thought (so far)! Well, I mean it's not like he's up that much yet, but it just feels so natural nursing Nicholas while playing with Donovan and his cars, for example. "Sharing" my time isn't as hard as I thought...so far anyway. It feels good and I'm really enjoying it...minus the sleep deprivation, of course. :-p

I'm getting nervous that Nicholas is going to be just as challenging of a sleeper as Donovan! D'oh! I know it's early since he's only 2 weeks old, but already he needs to be held pretty much all day for naps (Donovan did not), I'm sleeping on the couch with him b/c he hates the bassinet but sleeps OK in the PNP in the family room, and he had a rough rough 4-6am this morning, where he was tired, but couldn't sleep (can you say Donovan?). I was sooo exhausted! But, I did get a good nap in for me today, so I feel prepared for tonight. On the flip side, he has re-settled himself going through sleep transitions, something I don't remember Donovan ever doing and he has already given me one 3 hour 45 min stretch (last night) which took Donovan months to do. Sooooo...the jury is still out. I'm scared, but at least this time I do know there is an end to the sleep problems as Donovan is a good sleeper now. :-)

No comments: