Friday, February 1, 2008

Countdown t-4 (39 Weeks)

Dear Nicolas,

My doctor's appt yesterday was same ol'. No weight gain, though! Yay! So, my total weight gain is 39 pounds, 2 more than with Donovan. Not too bad. My cervix was same as last week, she said (75% effaced and 2 cm dilated). I also asked her about whether they would give me Pitocin again given I had a c-section last time. I have read some doctors won't give it at all because it can increase the risk of uterine rupture (the main risk when you attempt a VBAC). She said they won't induce me (i.e. if I'm late, they won't bring on labor and I would need to get another c-section), but if labor has started (i.e. water breaking), they will give me pitocin and they call it "augmentation". Hmmm...my plan is to wait at least a couple hours at the hospital before pitocin if my water breaks first. I talked to my mom (your grandmother) and again she said with all 5 kids her water broke first, but she said it didn't take long for her contractions to start, so I'm going to give more time this time. I'm not sure if how your labor starts is hereditary or not, of course. She told me I should ask for a lower dose Pitocin if I do need help getting going. I am still so unconvinced the Pitocin plus epidural isn't what led us down the c-section path before, so I'm really hoping things go differently this time.

Your father doesn't quite understand why I would risk a uterine rupture rather than get another c-section. It is/was tempting to just schedule another c-section, but in the end, I really want to try to do this. This is my last chance. I want to experience childbirth, if possible. Also, what people seem to forget is that a c-section is surgery and the risks of surgery can be more than that of uterine rupture during a VBAC. The chances of uterine rupture is very low (less than 1% -- Click here). On top of that, recovery from a c-section can be much greater. Sure, my recovery from Donovan's c-section wasn't too bad, but it is not guaranteed the same will apply this time. All in all, it's something I want to try and your dad is supporting me in that. I just don't think he gets it. :-p But, it's not like he can understand what it feels like to be pregnant either, right? :-D

Anyway, I am anticipating giving birth to you THIS WEEKEND!! Woohoo! I really hope so!!! Since about an hour before my doctor's appointment yesterday, I've been having strong Braxton Hicks and maybe some real contractions on and off. Last night I had them for about an hour straight every 12-14 minutes, then they stopped. I had them on and off all night, but nothing consistent or continuous. I've had them alllll day on and off too! I hope this is my body gearing up. If I don't go into labor by tomorrow, hopefully this Super Bowl Sunday. If you make me work on Monday, I'm not going to be too happy, buddy! LOL! I'm very anxious at this point. I'm very uncomfortable and really would love to meet you, ok? Come on baby!!

And, now for my final belly pics. I won't take anymore even if I go another week. My belly is HUGE and I think I finally got some stretch marks. So, here they are. Enjoy. :-)

Hope to meet you tonight! I better get to bed, huh? :-p

Love,
Mommy


No comments: