Sunday, February 3, 2008

Since I'm not in labor...

I guess Nicolas wants to stay put a bit longer than Donovan did, so I figured this would be a good time to update more about what Donovan has been up to.

Donovan is such a cutie. This age definitely has its challenges (read some major tantrums and tempers flaring if he doesn't get his way), but it's such a fun age at the same time. His language and communication are really blossoming and it's so much fun. Sometimes it's not, but that's to be expected as he tests us what is acceptable and what's not. His favorite two words right now are "No!" and "Later!" LOL! If I say it's time to go upstairs for bed, he says "Go upstairs laaaater!". And, then there is "eat dinner later" and all kinds of things he'd rather do "later". Of course, if it's something he wants to do and we say later, he says "Nooo, noooowwww." LOL! It's fun...most of the time. :-) He really enjoys being understood too and you better acknowledge you've heard what he says, otherwise you hear it over and over and over until you repeat it back. Difficult when you're not 100% sure what he's said. Ha! He enjoys playing the game of opposites, too, where we ask him the opposite of a word and he says what it is.

On top of his English blossoming, he surprised me last week when he started counting in Spanish. ;-) He can count up to 10 and knows that "abre" means "open". We're working on some animals, too. We can thank Dora for this. I do have a couple of Spanish language videos too, but we haven't shown those much lately, so it must be Dora. What's especially fun about this is he really understands it's another language. If I count in English, he says "Spanish" so we can do it in Spanish. A few times he's asked me what something is in Spanish. Pity I don't always know. LOL! I don't expect to make him fluent, but I hope I can teach him enough that he finds it's easy to learn in school later on. I wish my Dad could teach him French and German because I read somewhere if they can count to 10 in any language, they will have the sounds they need to learn it later. I'm not sure how true that is, but it would be great if his grandfather could teach him.

Lastly, one of the most impressive things Donovan is doing right now (at least to me) is putting together jigsaw puzzles. He can do the regular toddler puzzles (where the picture is there and you match the piece to it), but he can also do 12-pieces and up to 36-piece jigsaw puzzles by himself and 48 pieces, with help. The puzzles say they are 3+ and 5+ jigsaw puzzles, so we are quite amazed how good at them he really is at just over 2 years old. Donny says he must get it from me. :-)

On a physical note, he's still a pretty cautious kid, but he is learning to jump and climbs a lot more and is going up and down stairs like a "big boy" better now. He can also FINALLY open up doors. LOL! As a mother I wanted to encourage him and teach him how to open the door knob that I'm sure he could have done easily 6-10 months ago, but I'm not that crazy to want him to get into trouble, right? :-) He has a lot of energy, but thankfully not so much so that he bounces off the walls.

Well, I think that's about it. I'm sure there is lots more, but those are the highlights. I love him soooo very much. I wonder, sometimes, how I will love the new baby as much as I love him, but I guess it will happen, I hear. I can imagine because I know how much I love my nieces and when I added Donovan, that love did not lessen at all. Love is endless. :-)

No comments: